Welcome to Project Crystal Code! During this virtual program, you are invited to help UC Irvine, Crystal Cove State Park, and Crystal Cove Conservancy study the best way to restore Moro Canyon.
Project Crystal Code participants will learn about the real-life challenges we face in protecting Moro Canyon and how we can use technology to address them as you investigate scientific questions, design a computer model, explore how to code an environmental sensor, analyze data, and finally create a recommendation for Crystal Cove State Park.
The program, designed to address Next Generation Science Standards for middle school, addresses concepts such as decomposition, modeling, coding, and how we can use science ideas to protect our wild places. It is divided into twelve sessions, which consist of 45-60 minutes of investigations.
How to Join
Project Crystal Code is free for everyone! If you are a teacher or homeschool educator and would like to join Project Crystal Code for the 2020-2021 school year, please complete this survey and let us know.
If you have any questions about the program, feel free to contact Kaitlin Magliano, Education Coordinator, by emailing email@example.com.
Teacher Professional Development
We highly recommend that all teachers, educators, and parents who will be facilitating Project Crystal Code attend two online professional development sessions. The “Welcome to Project Crystal Code” training gives an introduction to the Project Crystal Code research project and curriculum. The “Project Crystal Code Data Analysis” training gives you a crash course in supporting your scientists in thinking about how best to represent data through statistics, making graphs, and using their graphs as evidence to support a recommendation.
Upcoming Training Dates:
- March 10 from 4:00 – 5:30pm – Welcome to Project Crystal Code
- March 30 from 4:00pm – 5:00pm – Data Analysis for Project Crystal Code
- April 8 from 4:00 – 5:30pm – Welcome to Project Crystal Code
- April 21 from 4:00pm – 5:00pm – Data Analysis for Project Crystal Code
If you cannot attend a training, we will post recordings afterwards to watch at your leisure!
Project Crystal Code Curriculum
Teacher & Educator Resources
- Teacher Guide (PDF)
- Student Pre-Program Assessment
- Student Post-Program Assessment
- Student Field Notebook template
Session 1: Welcome to Moro Canyon!
- Session 1 Lesson Guide (PDF)
- Session 1 Slideshow
- Exploring Moro Canyon Thinglink
- Session 1 Field Notebook template
Session 2: Introduction to Our Experiment
Session 3: Designing a Model
- Session 3 Lesson Guide (PDF)
- Session 3 Slideshow (Padlet version)
- Session 3 Slideshow (SageModeler version)
- Session 3 Field Notebook template
Session 4: Making a Hypothesis
Session 5: Building Circuits
Session 6: Learning to Code
- Session 6 Lesson Guide (PDF)
- Session 6 Slideshow
- Session 6 Extension Slideshow: Downloading Code to a Micro:Bit
- Session 6 Extension Slideshow: Rock, Paper, Scissors
- Session 6 Field Notebook Template
- Session 6 Micro:Bit MakeCode Directions
Session 7: Coding a Soil Moisture Meter
- Session 7 Lesson Guide (PDF)
- Session 7 Slideshow
- Session 7 Field Notebook Template
- Session 7 Micro:Bit MakeCode Directions
Session 8: Collecting Data
- Session 8 Lesson Guide (PDF)
- Session 8 Slideshow
- Data Collection Thinglink
- Session 8 Field Notebook Template
Session 9: Analyzing Data
- Session 9 Lesson Guide (PDF)
- Session 9 Slideshow (Google Sheets version)
- Session 9 Slideshow (SageModeler version)
- Session 9 Field Notebook template
Session 10: Sharing Our Findings
- Session 10 Lesson Guide (PDF)
- Session 10 Slideshow
- Session 10 Field Notebook template
- Presentation Template Slideshow
- Photos for Presentations
Have any other questions? Please contact Kaitlin Magliano at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!