Wave Dynamics Monitoring Project
Set Up Your Field Notebook
- Turn to a new page in your field notebook, and at the top record three pieces of information about the data collection event: Your name, today’s date, the date that the data was collected or filmed, and the transect ID.
- Your name
- Today’s date
- The date that the data was collected or filmed
- Draw a table with two columns and four rows. Label the rows as follows:
- Row 1: Wave Frequency
- Row 2: Wave Height
- Row 3: Wave Velocity
- Row 4: Swell Direction
Recording the Data
- Watch the videos below to gather data on wave frequency, wave height, and wave velocity.
- Then, go to NOAA’S National Data Buoy Center to collect data on swell height.
- Record the data in the Wave Dynamics Monitoring Project Google Form.
Wave Dynamics: Wave Frequency (3/24/21)
Wave Dynamics: Wave Height (3/24/21)
Wave Dynamics: Wave Velocity (3/24/21)
Wave Dynamics: Swell Height (3/24/21)
To collect data on swell height, visit the NOAA National Data Buoy Center.
Submitting Your Data
While you are viewing the video, use our Wave Dynamics Monitoring Google Form to submit your data. If you would like to continue contributing and submit data for data collected on a different day, feel free to go to our list of past data collection days.